Vancouver Point Grey stands up for BC:
4 pm June 3rd 2012 at Kits Beach
Shore of the Salish Sea -- Unceded Coast Salish Territory
Are you concerned about oil spills and climate change?
Do you want Premier Clark to say NO! to supertankers on our coast, and pipelines cutting across BC?
If your answer is yes, then we want you in the picture!
The residents of Vancouver Point Grey -- Christy Clark's riding -- are taking out this full page ad in the Vancouver Sun & Province.
Originally we planned to just have people from the riding in the picture.
However, the response on the street has been so overwhelming that we've decided to invite everyone who cares to join us June 3rd for the photo shoot. Christy Clark is our MLA, but she's everyone's Premier.
This ad will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people across the province! It's our chance to send a message to the Premier: time to stand up for BC.
You can help make it happen in two ways!
First, we can use your help paying for the ad.
We need to raise $13,440. (+ $10,000 raised as of May 26th!)
- Go to KitsBeachPhotoDay.Eventbrite.Ca to donate to the cost and sign up for the photo shoot, or
- Donate directly by mail: PO Box 74504, Kitsilano RPO, Vancouver BC, V6K 4P4 (cheques payable to VTACC)
- Know any local businesses that would like to contribute? Let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
Second, it would be great if you can help spread the word. We want to make sure that everyone who cares knows this is happening!
- Please tell your friends and neighbours -- across the fence and by email.
- Can you help spread the word on the street? We'll deliver flyers & posters to your door: email@example.com
- Share & like the Eventbrite page using the links there. (Scroll to the bottom to see who is already coming!)
- Spread the word on facebook: KitsBeachPhotoDay
We're running out of time to stop climate change, but it seems like our governments are determined to push forward with plans that will make the problem worse.
Exporting and burning more oil will push us that much closer to runaway global warming. One oil spill would ruin our coast for a generation.
Oil companies want to bring supertankers to our coast that would carry 1 million (in English Bay!) or 2 million (on the stormy North Coast!) barrels of oil each! This is a disaster-in-waiting.
We know that Prime Minister Harper is looking out for the oil companies on this, but what about our own Premier, Christy Clark? BC gets all of the risks with this plan, and none of the benefits.
Premier Clark needs to know that the voters in her riding care about this issue and want her to do the right thing for BC.
We want her to know that the voters of Vancouver Point Grey are getting organized, and that we are going to make this an issue in the next provincial election -- May 2013.
The full page ad is the first step in building a strong local network for political action. Focused political pressure will make the difference.
Check out the links on the left for more background on why we need to stop tankers and pipelines.